Friday, April 8, 2011

Smile


We headed to the Huntsman Cancer Center for our first date with chemotherapy early this morning on a beautiful Utah spring day...in other words, the sky was overcast and dreary and the snow was already falling down. Shea snuggled up with her blankie into the back seat of the car and quietly rested while Kelton navigated through the early morning traffic. As we got closer to our destination, my stomach began to turn and thoughts were flying wildly through my mind. Each mile seemed to bring me closer to panic. Kelt urged off I-15 onto 4th South and standing on the corner in the snow was a man holding a hand-made cardboard sign. It said "Smile". Heavenly Father always knows what I need. I determined right there to just smile. For me, it has set the tone for the entire day. What a difference a smile can make!
When we arrived at the center, we were told that a great research study had opened up the night before. It is using drugs that are proven to be effective for kidney cancer and they believe that it can help in colon cancer as well. We feel so good about being a part of this study. Because she will be a part of the study, chemotherapy won't start until next Friday. However since she is part of the study, we are spending the night at the Huntsman again tonight. We wish we had planned and packed for an overnight stay, but they are helping us out with toothbrushes, combs and Johnson baby wash, so it's all good.
To help her digestive tract stay happy, she is getting milk and molasses enemas. I have to admit I have never considered pairing those two ingredients together for anything other than cookies...what a learning experience this is cracking up to be (no pun intended haha).
We were happy to have two visits from Dr. Eye Candy today, eat a good meal of salads and sweet potato fries, and watch a year's worth of Say Yes To The Dress.
Kind of a boring, relaxed day....kind of a boring post......and I just can't seem to stop smiling:)

4 comments:

  1. I think I need to meet this Dr. Eye Candy....

    :)

    Love you guys! More Prayers your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're posts are great Jeneanne. We love you and Kelt, and all our prayers are for you and Shea. Call me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy crap, he IS dr. eye candy!!! bekah and i zoomed in on the picture to make sure...heh. :)

    we are praying for you all! much love...from the bryners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It totally craks me up that the only negative comments I have received about the blog is the fact that I didn't get a better picture of Dr. Eye Candy....here's hoping to another chance to make it right hahaha

    ReplyDelete