Thursday, April 7, 2011

It's a Beautiful Day!!


Okay, I wrote yesterday and I learned a few things. I learned that I need grammar and spell check badly!! Apparently, I can't do that very well on my own. The other thing I learned is that I ramble....so there it is ....I ramble. I also don't think to explain the things that are in my heart and mind very well, so I am going to clear up a question or two before I write about the happenings and thoughts of the day. I had several people ask me how the name of the blog came to be. For me, it is a story of preparation by the Lord. I have been focusing my studies on the New Testament for the last couple of years. I have really tried to ponder and think about even the little things. Around Christmas time I was reading the account of the apostles in the boat when the wind and the waves began to buffet them around. (Matthew14:22-33, John 6:16-21) It was dark and the water was pretty restless and right in the middle of that confusion, Jesus appeared. At first they were frightened, but Jesus called out and told them not to fear. Then Peter essentially said, 'if it is You, then ask me to walk to You'. Now here is the interesting part to me that I have spent alot of time thinking about. Jesus told him to walk and Peter stepped out of the boat. Then he realized just how many waves there were, that is was dark out so he couldn't see really well and he probably realized "Holy cow! I'm standing on top of some really deep water!" And then he sank. Of course he had the presence of mind to call out to Jesus who immediately stretched out his hand, got him back up out of the water and then got him safely back in the boat. When Shea was diagnosed, into my mind flashed the image of both of us in a boat. Those cancer waves were already buffeting the sides of my little boat of happiness. It was pretty dark all around me, and quite frankly, I was the one who on the inside was screaming and freaking out and generally adding to all of the commotion. Then I saw Shea look out over the boat (which to me kind of represents the life that we were comfortably floating around in), step out onto the waves and start to tentatively walk. Now the really cool thing to me about Peter is the fact that he didn't fail. Alot of people look at him and say essentially "What a nut! He thought he could do something only Jesus could do and then Jesus had to bail him out". I think Peter was successful!! He got out of the boat and he walked! Mission accomplished!! It wasn't until he let all of the other stuff around him get in his way that he began to let it overtake him. And even at that, he was smart enough to call out to the Lord because he knew He was there and He could help him get back up on top of things and carry on like before. Sure Peter was a little wet, and maybe a little cold...but he had learned a whole lot about himself and his Savior in the process, so I think it was worth it to him in the end. So there you have it...Shea has stepped away from the life she knew before, and I'm the chicken still back in the boat...part of me cheering her on and the other part helplessly watching and waiting, but knowing that the Savior is out there and he has already stretched forth his hand to her to lead her down the path he has planned for her all along. Okay, which brings me to what I really want to talk about today. The first things you notice when someone you love is diagnosed with cancer, is that everyone loves to throw numbers at you; 20% this, 6% chance of that, 80% have this etc. etc. etc. Now anyone who knows me knows I will never be a rocket scientist...that takes too much math. And the only reason I even was able to obtain my degree was because I had a teacher from Taiwan who took pity (and I mean PITY) on me and allowed me to pass math 1050 with the lowest possible passing grade necessary even through I didn't earn it. (sorry to all of you who actually worked for that grade). And then there was the off campus Statistics class that I sat in a room by myself and watched an instructor teach over a video chat line. It was graded on a curve, and I only passed that class because the rest of the class members were in the state prison at the point of the mountain. I'm eternally grateful for those men who made me look good. So essentially....I suck at math and statistics. But one thing I learned from those classes is sometimes 2+2 doesn't always equal 4.....and every statistic can be skewed. So for all the number lovers out there...we aren't listening!! I don't care what you tell me about Shea's chances....you haven't watched her dig her heels in when she's wanted something. Ask her family...we watched Winnie the Pooh two times a day (at least) for an entire year because we didn't have a choice. Don't tell us the percentages of those who can't accomplish something....I watched Shea as a baby work for over an hour to move a chair into place so that she could get on the counter, climb on top of the fridge where she knew the cookies were kept and smile smugly down at me while she ate them. And believe me when I say she has faced tough, hard and uncomfortable things in life and she always comes out on top. I can't imagine her doing anything different this go around. So to prove my point, today Shea has had a great day. Color back in her cheeks and her appetite has been good. She and Kelt and I went for a little drive and ended up at Call's drive-in for some fries and onion rings. Life is truly good! We are off to the Huntsman in the morning for our first round of chemotherapy. It will be interesting to learn something new. I will be packing blankies, snacks and card games to make the day go by sweeter. Thanks again for all of your thoughts and prayers. They are powerful enough that we can feel them and we see and appreciate so many miracles each day. So many people are asking what they can do to help and at this point we really don't know. We are barely starting in to this, so we are unsure of what exactly we will need. I guess what I need is a wife...LOL. So.... I guess help us look at the magic in our lives. Go outside and look at how many colors are in each leaf of every tree. Isn't that amazing? It is truly a beautiful day!

7 comments:

  1. You do not know me but I went to high school with Shea and have always admired her cheerful spirit and kindness. I was shocked and saddened when I heard of her diagnosis and have not been able to stop thinking of her. She is a positive, strong girl and will beat this! Praying for her and your family!

    -Lyndsi (Walker) Frandsen

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't think i made it through either post now without crying like a baby! i really loved what you said about peter and how you apply that story to what you and shea (and your family) are going through right now. we look forward to following along with you all and we hope you know how much we love you! we'll be praying for you while shea starts her chemo today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know my sister I think it wasn't till Peter noticed the waves and looked down... lost his focus on the Savior, that he started to sink. Keep your eyes and heart focused on the Lord like your doing. It sounds like you've been preparing for just this moment. Things don't always turn out the way we want them too, but they turn out for the best when we are doing things right. I love you all, and love your blogg. It is beautiful. I suck at math too, must be a Davis thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved what you wrote! (Iguess English is your strength, because that was fun to read!) I agree with you. Percentages have nothing on personal revelation! Good luck with all your travails/travels. We are praying for you!
    Love, Chalene

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister Lisa works with you and she told me about this blog. I cant stop thinking about your family. I will pray continuously for you and Shea. She is beautiful. Stay strong and know that if the Lord brings you to it, HE will bring you trough it.

    Emily Hall

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeneanne and Shea just want you both to know that you are in my thoughts daily as well as in my prayers. I love the blog. Thanks for sharing this experience with us. Hats off to you both for your positive upbeat attitudes! Glad your sense of humor is still in intact, Jeneanne. Love and best wishes, Joetta

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to each and everyone of you! I needed to hear your gerat thoughts and positive affirmations! You all ROCK!

    ReplyDelete