Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Easter

Shea had her first home blood draw yesterday. Our nurse was able to draw it from a vein in Shea's arm rather than use the port, which is a really good sign. It means that Shea is hydrated and doing well that way. However, they (meaning home health and Huntsman) called and said that they want to do an infusion of some vitamins and minerals to boost up Shea's blood content. They will probably do that on Monday morning since we figured we could find better things to do on Easter day. I feel like I am in a tailspin ever since someone mentioned to me in passing "What are you going to cook for Easter dinner?" WHAT??? Easter is in two days???? Arrrgh!! Nick calmly looked at me and said, "Don't worry Mom, cook whatever. The Easter Bunny will do the rest." hahahaha The Easter bunny had better bring along the Tooth Fairy to help him out because I am behind, behind, behind. Thank goodness that Caroline went with me today to Walmart and hopefully we pulled a bunny, some Easter grass, treats and an Easter dinner out of the hat. Shea's friends at Lynn's Audio and Video helped her out and she now is sporting a new TV and Blue Ray DVD player for her room. I contributed dark curtains to turn it into a great movie theater. LOL Kelt is drooling and anxiously awaiting the installment of said TV. I'm sure Shea's room will somehow now become the "Man Cave", whether she likes it or not. We are settling into a routine and I catch myself sometimes thinking that maybe I am living in a really weird dream....it sometimes just doesn't seem real. Shea will be laughing or telling me a story, and my brain just can't accept what my own intellect knows to be true (perhaps that's the problem...me relying on my intellect). Other times the cancer looms up over us and then we have to brush away tears, dust ourselves off and move forward. Thankfully, the sad moments in time are much shorter and quicker to move on than the good times. I was able to tell a couple of stories about Shea as a baby today. It was fun to reminisce about life and Easters past. She used to never let me take her outside the house without a big bow in her hair. She would pitch a big fit. Because I'm lazy, I quickly got her addicted to hats, so she would wear a hat all the time when she was little. She always looked like such a cute, old woman!! She had the best hat collection in town. I told her we should start finding some really funky and cute hats to collect...even though she gets to keep her hair, it would still be fun. It has been a long time since I bought her a full, frilly dress, gloves and a hat for Easter that's for sure. So instead, this Easter I will be cooking the menu of her choice...green beans, rolls, pork loin (lemon herb and maple bourbon...no I'm not buying/using the real stuff...I just bought it that way), funeral potatoes, room temperature Canada Dry and fruit for dessert. But aside from the candy, food, baskets and good times, there is nothing like having a loved one face the fight of their life to live to make you grateful for the Savior. Especially at Easter. The fact that He Lives is one amazing statement and belief. I know I'm grateful for that fact...and I'm grateful to know that I know that for a fact. No matter what...we are a family and always will be...that is what Easter means to me this year. So when you see that bright, beautiful Easter morning roll around...grab your loved ones, hold them close and count all the blessings that you are able to daily share with them. That's exactly what I'm planning to do....Happy Easter!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Easter to you, Shea, and the family.

    I love your humor. It will really help to get through this trial you have to endure. I love your comment about the "Man cave."

    Good luck with the battle. And don't forget that there are a lot of people praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete