Tuesday, June 7, 2011

VooDoo

Well, today has certainly been a long day for both of us. Shea had a hard night last night, so it has made today seem extra hard and tiring. We were told that the scope would be at noon, so we were geared up and ready to go. Shea really hadn't slept very much, so I was very happy when she announced at 11 that she would like to take a nap. I readily agreed, and I jumped up on my air mattress and snuggled in. The last thing I did was look at the clock...it said 11:03. "Great, that should give us almost an hour" I thought as Shea turned out the light and I closed my eyes. All of a sudden, the light pinged back on and Shea said, "Wasn't that a great nap? I feel so much better!". I looked at the clock...it said 11:05....I kid you not! I said "Shea! You only had the light off for 2 minutes!" and she replied, "Really? I thought I had slept for at least 20 minutes! Are you sure?" I can promise you that at no time in my life have I mistaken 2 minutes in bed for 20...and I have been teasing her all day about it. She is very good natured and laughs along...even if she is only operating on a literal few minutes of sleep. The scope ended up being at 2:00, which meant that it didn't start until 3. That is the life of a Huntsman patient on the procedure waiting list. It isn't bad though, since they keep you entertained with drinks and reading material. Today I snuck out back of the hospital and defrosted on the patio. It was nice to lie on a lounger and feel the breeze blow gently across my face. Very peaceful and very calming. This week at the hospital has been a rough one for me. I am sure the good Lord is just shaking his head at me. I referenced the fact that I had 7 days of bitter....that has just turned into 14. I'm not bitter at the Lord, or the circumstances, per se....I am just planning on making a few voodoo dolls. I kid you not....I have been mentally planning the pattern for voodoo dolls in my head. I know those of you who know me know I talk a mean streak, but truthfully I'm usually all show and no go...so it is disconcerting to say the least that I am mentally planning on sewing up a couple of voodoo dolls. I think I have finally lost it. I even dreamed last night on whether they would have a pattern for them in Vogue or Butterick or Simplicity. I hope Simplicity, because I find them easier to sew LOL. And maybe instead of directing my bitterness outward....I SHOULD make a voodoo doll called Cancer. Then I could stick a pin in for the fact that she is only 23....and she is in pain....and I don't know the outcome....and I'm not patient...and somewhere in all of this is a lesson, but I am too big of a wimp/baby/stubborn butt to give a crap about what the lesson is. So....the state of affairs today is this; I AM full of hope and I AM full of gratitude for all I have and I AM cognizant of the fact that my blessings and happiness far, far outweigh the bad I am facing, but.....I still think I will bring out the sewing machine when I get home.

6 comments:

  1. Jeaneanne, you and I have never met. But I have been reading your blog. My brother volunteers at the Huntsman and has told me about your struggle. Our family has FAP, too, although I am the "adopted" one because I somehow missed out on this dreaded disease. I was probably not strong enough to handle it. I lost a baby 30 years ago due to a heart condition. (My husband was the speaker you referred to in your April 17 post... "being healed as he passed through the veil into the next life...") I mistakenly thought I knew the right things to say when others struggled with life and death issues. So I marched into a hospital room where another mother lay holding her dying baby and told her "everything is going to be alright, keep an eternal perspective, etc." She later told me that all she wanted to hear was "THIS STINKS!" I have learned so much since then. Eventually, because of the knowledge the gospel gives us, we can and will have an eternal perspective, but for the here and now, it stinks! Please let me know what I can do to help. I am crocheting hats for your July fundraiser. I would be happy to help you make your voodoo dolls as well!
    Thinking of you and your beautiful daughter and her struggle....

    Peggy Olson
    Perry, UT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeaneanne, I just finished read your entire blog. I have been blissfully unaware of your struggles this spring, call me a slow learner, and I am truly touched. You are an amazing person and I will include you and your family in my prayers. Thanks so much for the uplifting notes and funnies! You make me laugh and I love to laugh! (But I think you already knew that.) Good luck to you and Shae!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jeaneanne ~<3
    I LOVE YOU! I feel very blessed to have met you that Saturday afternoon. You are an inspiring daughters of God. I am touched by your great love, your faith, your patience, strength and definitively your awesome sense of humor. Brent and I are here for you and your daughter to help you. You are in our thoughts and prayers. You and Shea are surely very special!
    Sincerely,
    Susana Manwill

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I should comment too, since my wife and "adopted" sister commented. LOL.

    We do love you Jeneanne and Shea. We are here for you guys. To help you through this trial that you both are going through, and for the future challenges that FAP will bring into Shea's life.

    Please be sure to let us know what we can do to help you and your family. We love you.

    Brent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeneanne,
    Brent and I work together and this morning he sent me a link to your blog. He's knows that I am a (almost 3 years) colon cancer survivor.

    Thank you for sharing Shea's experience, it is very touching. I'm sorry she and her loved ones have to go through this.

    I'm guessing that, just as I did, Shea and your family are feeling the Lord's warm blanket of peace, comfort and love wrapped around you and... you trust...even when you want to scream and poke voodoo dolls!

    One of the things you have posted, that touched me deeply, is what Nate said, “Do you believe what you tell me?". I said "What do you mean?" He said, "You say Heaven is good. So the way I look at it is if you are right, then if Shea goes to Heaven that is good. And if Shea stays with us that is good, too. So if you believe what you say, then no matter what, it is all good." I’m sure you’re proud of that insight and eternal perspective. Most people don’t learn that in a life time, they just live for the here and now.

    Thank you for your blog. May the end of Shea’s cancer journey be soon and I pray she will become and remain cancer-free and live a long life here on the earth surrounded by those who love her.

    You and Shea will be my prayers,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your wonderful, kind words and your support and encouragement. It really does mean the world to me! If I could name one good thing about cancer it would be this...it draws you close to good friends old and new and opens your eyes to just how interconnected we all are. Thanks again! And for those of you wondering...the sewing machine is out...and I have a request for three 'cancer' dolls so far...so yes, I guess voodoo it is (better clear this one with the Bishop LOL)

    ReplyDelete