Monday, June 6, 2011

Just Chillin' Out

We are still just chillin' out. Today has been a slow day punctuated by busy moments in time. It reminds me of being in the military, because there has been so much "hurry up and wait" going on. Shea has been struggling with severe pain since late last night which has been really hard to watch. For the last several days, her pain was hovering right around a 2 on a scale of 1-10, but late last night it spiked to an 8 and just wouldn't let up. It was hard to see her so upset and struggling. They had to give her a lot of medication which made her say random things for a while and then she settled in to sleep. Every once in a while she would mutter something under her breath which made me smile since it brought back memories of when she was a child and she would talk in her sleep. Today they put her on a clear liquid diet and tomorrow she is scheduled for a scope at noon. After that, we should know how much longer we will be here and what the next steps are. In a crazy way, we are looking forward to it. Today was my appointment at the Schleroderma clinic, so it was somewhat convenient to get up, shower and then amble over the the University of Utah Medical Center. I was able to have a pulmonary function test, give lots and lots of blood and have an echo cardiogram all before lunch. I will come back in 2 months for hand x-rays and a follow-up visit to see how things are going. My favorite part of all of this? Being told that I should get and stay in the sun as much as possible because natural vitamin-D from the sun is crucial (so see?....I SHOULD move to Florida or Arizona or wherever I can be warm. I prefer Se villa in Spain, but good luck to me finding a job there LOL) The bummer of the whole visit? Being told to avoid getting cold since that is bad, bad, bad. Did I mention the temperature of Shea's room? Even the nurses are starting a "bump up the thermostat" campaign. Unfortunately, we are losing that battle, so.....I wrap two hospital blankets around my head to keep my neck and ears warm. At night they cover my nose and chin as well....I look like some light-eyed Taliban member ( I told you I was making fashion history...), but at least I am trying to stay warm. I ate some sweet potato fries just to make me feel better...tonight I'll have hot chocolate and cookies for dinner, because that is how health conscious I am becoming. Basically my attitude has degenerated into..."If it feels good and tastes great...do it! Life's too short" , hence the hot chocolate and cookies...add a dose of the 'Bachelorette' and it is cracking up to be another fine experience at Camp Huntsman for the two of us. And because Shea feels badly about freezing her poor old mother out, she would like it to go on record that she is lending me her hoodie...and her socks....and asking for warm blankets on a regular basis just so she can share them with me. All I need to complete the camp experience is a fire and some s'mores....maybe I'll go upstairs and see if the chef will let me put my hands next to the brick pizza oven and roast a marshmallow or two before 7 when 'our show' starts. So that's about it....hurry up and get ready for the test.....wait 'till noon; hurry up and get the hot chocolate and the cookies....wait 'till 7; hurry up and wrap up in cold weather gear topped with a plethora of blankets....wait 'till August for warmth and summer. Just keepin' it chill...yo LOL

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about Shea's pain level increasing so much. I sure hope the scope tomorrow can give you the information you (and the doctors) need to find out where the problem is. Good luck.

    I hope the tests you had today will help with your Schleroderma.

    And I don't know what you're complaining of. I thought the temperature in Shea's room felt wonderful the 2 times I was there. LOL.

    ReplyDelete