Saturday, June 4, 2011

La la la

It is crazy how a song will get stuck in your head and just keep replaying over and over. That was the case with me this past week. A new song called Tonight, Tonight by I have no clue who, really struck a nerve with me ( not all of the song, since my girlfriend hasn't/isn't cheating on me haha). the beginning goes like this " It's been a really really messed up week. Seven days of torture and seven days of bitter (then the girlfriend thing) followed by lalala Whatever lalala It doesn't matter lalala Oh Well lalala. And that pretty well describes my last week of school and everything going on at the Liston home....and all I can say is "Whatever". As I was heading home on Thursday (our last day of school here in Brigham) I was pretty excited to be going home and starting a summer. I was thinking about the fun things I had coming up and was making a mental checklist of the dates and dinners and other commitments that the kids had told me they would be involved in over the next week. all of a sudden, my phone rang and it was Shea crying. She told me she wasn't feeling very well and that she was running a fever. I hurried home (thank you Brigham City PD for the inattention on Main Street Thursday afternoon...I for one surely appreciated it! And I'm sure you were very busy elsewhere, which definitely worked for me.) After taking Shea's temperature again, I called the Huntsman Center and was told that they wanted to see her. They told me to plan for a possible overnight stay, so I packed the trusty new air mattress, some extra jammies for Shea and a change of clothes for me and we were off to Salt Lake. When we arrived, they drew blood and it wasn't long before they decided to admit her. Her white and red blood counts were quite low and they knew something was going on. She received chest x-rays and a CT scan which showed good news and bad news...the tumors in her liver have shrunk considerably, but it appears as if an infection is running rampant throughout her colon. Since Thursday she has received a couple of blood transfusions, lots of antibiotics, lots of saline and a myriad of medications. Thursday and Friday, she was feeling really well and eating like a horse...she would order 3 meals for lunch and dinner and then proceed to eat them. For example, one dinner was fish and chips, a large veggie plate (a small tray size really) and a big turkey and roast beef sandwich. Room service told me..."That's alot of food for one Patient" and I said "Why yes it is, but she will eat it all, so bring it anyway". So today (Saturday) when she wasn't feeling very well, it made us laugh when room service called Shea's room at 6:30 and said "Shea hasn't ordered anything much today....just a little bit of broth. Can't we bring her anything?" They even sent one of their runners down to the room at closing time to make sure that she wouldn't starve to death through the night. So, the long and short of it is this...when Shea is eating hearty, so am I. When Shea is eating minimally, so am not I. It will be a miracle if my air mattress survives the onslaught of unlimited sunchips, peanuts and oreo cookies that Camp Huntsman is so willing to so thoughtfully provide. but hey...everyone has to have a hobby...and I am pretty good at mine :) So...we are waiting 'till tomorrow morning when the team of doctors make their rounds to hear what the next steps will be. If everything looks good, we should be coming home on Monday afternoon, if not....we will be staying at Camp Huntsman for a little bit longer. Overall, Shea is keeping her spirits up and she is doing well. I had several nurses tell me at different times that they actually fight over who is going to help Shea because she is so pleasant and happy to be around (and a couple of them tell me that the young orderlies want to be assigned her room because she is so cute...which really works for me because one in particular keeps bringing me warm blankies straight from the oven...man, I like that guy!) So...she is happy, pleasant, semi-healthy and fun to be around. I am happy, increasing in girth, cranky and cold (Shea keeps the room at a tropical 67 degrees) so....Lalala Whatever lalala It doesn't matter lalalaa Oh Well..lalala.

2 comments:

  1. Shea's attitude is really amazing. Even when she is in much pain she manages to keep a smile on her face. And she is a beautiful person. Inside and out. Well, maybe not in the colon. LOL That's a little messed up. But seriously, she is a beautiful person. Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brent...amd you are right, even though her colon is messed up, she is pretty wonderful inside and out!

    ReplyDelete