Saturday, July 2, 2011

Armchair Travelers

We just got back from the Huntsman. Chemo day was switched this week to Saturday since Shea needed to undergo a little procedure Friday morning. It seems that the tumor in the colon that was almost obstructing the bowel has shrunk enough that the stent that was placed there had slipped off and migrated down, so it needed to be removed. Her colo-rectal surgeon feels like it does not need to be replaced at this time, so that is also good news. Saturdays at the Huntsman are much more relaxed than on the weekdays. I think if the word got out, most patients would have chemo on a Saturday....it is so quiet and relaxing. The nurse today told me that if we come again on a Saturday, I could sleep in one of the beds while Shea received treatment. Awesome! Either I looked really tired/old and haggard/sick or all of the above, for her to suggest such a thing, but hey....I am so going to take her up on it if I ever get the chance :). they have reduced the amount of chemo that Shea will receive each time, and it seems to really be helping. She is talking about enrolling in a "nail" class this fall. She is beginning to feel like she can maybe start driving and getting out a little bit more. It is nice to see her start feeling better and begin to make plans for the future. She slept through most of today's treatment, so on the way home we had Chick-Fil-A (really good fast food, but it doesn't compare to a steak as an after chemo treat haha). After writing about being "normal", it seems as if the good Lord is granting that wish (maybe I had better write about the desire to be rich and skinny and see if that gets me anywhere LOL). I am enjoying the feeling of normalcy that we have been able to start to feel over the last couple of days....gives me hope and a spring in my step. The only thing missing is a little bit of travel...or a camping trip or two. That is the stuff that is hard to do when you are starting out on the cancer road. Shea and I were talking about how exciting it is that we have over 80 followers reading the blog (she thinks it is cool that so many people care about her....I just feel sorry that I am torturing so many people on a fairly regular basis), and we know that many more are reading it that have not become followers. Soooooo..........we are curious about where the readers are coming from. We know several in Utah, but does anyone want to post and tell us about your exciting surroundings? We are not able to travel...which we love to do....so this will give us a chance to see the world through your eyes. You can keep it anonymous, just tell us what you see.....fun things to do/eat/etc. We look forward to reading the comments.....you could say it is what we live for. So how about helping out a couple of armchair travelers? We hope it will be fun for everyone involved!

9 comments:

  1. My name is Jamie, and I found this blog through a friends blog! It's inspiring for me to read your blog, and it lifts my spirits! My surroundings aren't too exciting or different from yours, I live in Provo! BUT, I love to take pictures, and always have my camera with me...so my blog could be a source for your armchair travels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Heather, I grew up with Shea. I'm living in Southern California and it is HOT!! I think if I left a loaf of bread outside for a minute it would turn into toast...and not just toast, but burnt toast. I find it funny that people travel from all over the world to visit where I live. They go to Disneyland, Sea World, ya know all those fun places. However, now that I live here all I want to do is visit good old Utah.

    You guys are always in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Crista. I am Shea's cousin. So my mom and Shea's dad are brother and sister. I live in Lake Havasu City AZ. I live where the actual London Bridge is and it is a huge tourist attraction. It is a beautiful city with gorgeous beach front parks and lots of recreation. We love living here and do not miss the snow what so ever, even if it means seeing 128 degrees on the thermometer in the summer. We hav been here for 3.5 years and love it to pieces.

    Love you guys and are praying for you daily.

    Crista

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Melissa. You know me from The Women. I played Mary, and you made some of the most beautiful costumes for it. Good times. This year, after waiting four long years, I finally got to go back to Minnesota to visit my sister. I posted pictures in my blog. I hope you enjoy them. There are lighthouses! :) We went in June, so you'll have to go back to the posts in June to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Heather. I went to high school with Shea. (I love you girl! You are truly amazing!) I am so inspired by your blog and read it faithfully. And btw Jeneane I think you are a gifted writer. I would read anything you write. You just have this way with words... you make me laugh out loud and cry in the same sentence! I love you both and pray for all of you. Anyhow, you wanted to "see" new places. :) I just moved to North Carolina this week, and it is humid and warm... which I am loving! It is also soo green. There are trees and lakes everywhere! We went to the beach a few days ago, and there are also so many mountains (that's debateable...more like hills) to hike or bike and explore. I still have so much to see here myself since we haven't been here long, however, so far, I would compare it to the Oregon of the east coast. I wish you the best and think of you often. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks you guys! It was so wonderful to read your comments and to see all the wonderful pictures! It makes me want to run away on a big long road trip! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My name is Emily. I am a sister to a friend of Sheas mom. (Lisa Hansen) I live in Utah too. Kearns to be exact. I have lived in Colorado and Idaho. No where too exciting.

    I love this blog. I am so thankful for your faith. I pray for Shea and the rest of the family. You guys amaze me, inspire me and make me laugh. Keep up the great work and know that a little family in Kearns Utah is praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi There, I just read "Same as Different Kind of Me" It is amazing. I hope gives you some comfort. We have Shea and the rest of your family (Walt included) in our thoughts and prayers. If there is anything we can do, let us know. Carol and John in the mountains of Northeast Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  9. My name is Emily. I went to high school with Shea. We just moved to Kentucky. It is so green and beautiful here. It is very hot and humid here and I miss the cool summer evenings in Brigham City--it does not cool off like that here. Please enjoy those for me! My thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through this journey! Reading through your blog has been a strength to me. Thank you for being an example of faith! May the strength of the Lord be with Shea always!

    ReplyDelete